The list below was in a folder of stuff from Mom on my last visit home. It’s all the stuff Scott and I bought for our first home studio, and the core of which (the Digi 001 and a generic PC, which isn’t listed) I’ve used up to now.
I think I wrote it for my tax preparer in 2003 or 04.
It’s coincidental for it to show up now, as I’m halfway through buying a new core system (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, new Mac, Reaper DAW) to replace ProTools and the Digi. A lot of music has passed through the old rig over the years, and I’ll do an appreciation post once everything is unplugged.
It lives, with thanks again to Jack Orman and Brett Miller. I’ve mixed their ideas with my own and as you can see, if you look carefully, I have six new component values working in the DS-1 lab. (They’re the ones on the tall, spindly legs.)
It’s sounding great; clearer, more responsive, gain range brought under control. At minimum gain it’s a barely-there overdrive, just a dirty edge to the string attack, and if less drive is needed you’d need to not start with a DS-1! At maximum gain I played Sabbath riffs for ten minutes. The distortion is amp-like without trying to be anything it’s not. That’s in keeping with my goal; to bring out the best in a cheap, widely available platform with the minimum effective number of changes.
I haven’t messed with the tone stack yet, but I have some ideas and it’s up next.
I spent the afternoon installing sockets for some components in a DS-1 pedal so that I can easily experiment with some mods, turning it into a DS-1 laboratory of sorts.
You can see the sockets well in the photo below. They’re the little black legs on the PCB that components can just pop into, instead of soldering components directly to the board. There’s a transistor labeled “Q2” close to the center of the frame; look to the right of that for two socketed resistors.
No component values have changed, yet; I don’t have a real amp at home to test things on, just a tiny practice amp that’s enough to let me know I’m passing signal :-) Video to follow once I figure out some sounds I like.
- R6 and R9 (input transistor bias and gain, respectively)
- R7 (opamp gain)
- Edit 2015 Nov 14 – C5 and C7 (different values than the MIJ DS-1s, as described by Brett Miller. I left C8 alone, though he includes it in his MIJ mod, because I like the cutoff frequency created by the stock MIT DS-1 value for C8)
- D4, D5 (the hard-clipping diodes), and C10 (low-pass filter)
- R16, C12 (the low pass filter side of the tone stack), C11, R17 (the high pass filter side of the tone stack), and R15 (in series with the high pass filter side of the tone stack, reducing its output)
- R18 (a resistor in series on the output; just cuts output, from what I can tell, though now that I type this I realize it may be part of biasing the Q7 transistor)
That amounts to two gain stages, the hard-clipping stage, three post-gain filter sections, and possibly the output level. I plan to jumper all of the socketed components from the output back to the first gain stage to hear what that sounds like, see what improvements can be made (likely the Jack Orman phat mod), and build back toward the output from there stage by stage.
I’ll be experimenting with various hard-clipping options as well, with the goal of finding a few good ones to put on a switch.
Good times, and no soldering iron burns today!
Stream and/or snag the debut EP from Adventure Capitalists (featuring Rob of Arturo Got The Shaft infamy) at https://www.adcap.biz/ and https://soundcloud.com/adventurecapitalists/sets/mvp !
Rob, James, and Business Cat have planted the flag of the geek rock revolution farther inside the neoliberal front lines than ever before, celebrating and skewering the dot com economy with equal nerve and verve. Check it.