Hey, while you’ve been lying on the couch watching Keanu in “The Replacements,” I’ve been perfecting the ever-elusive Oven Fry for you. So gear up, geniuses, these fries will melt your face.
- Scrub your potatoes / sweet potatoes. Fork a bunch of holes in the skin so they don’t explode.
- PRE-COOK THEM – not *all the way* done – IN THE MICROWAVE. I recommend 2.5 or 3 minutes per medium-sized Russet potato, or 3-3.5 per sweet potato. You want them just starting to get soft, but not done or totally soft or falling apart.
- Cut yr potatoes into wedges. (Be careful, they’re hot!)
- Pour some olive oil into the bottom of a bowl. Cover each wedge in oil by dipping it into the bowl. Place covered wedges on a baking sheet.
- Put the sheet on a pretty high oven rack (maybe not the highest, though) under the broiler on HIGH/HI for about 15 minutes, or until they’re browned and crispy-looking on the outside.
- Take the fries out, let them cool, salt and season them, and enjoy!
Saving the salt for last is a good idea.
The microwave pre-cooking is the secret. You’ll get better fries, faster, every time. Which will get you back watching Reeves acting like a dumb quarterback appropriately, for once.