- 3 cans of chick peas (2 drained)
- tahini to taste (2 T or so)
- olive oil to taste (3 T or so)
- juice of 1 lemon (also some zest, if you like)
- 1 head dry roasted garlic (or to taste)
- chili pepper to taste (I like 3 dry roasted serranos, or 2 dry roasted and 1 fresh, or else jalapenos, Tabasco, cayenne, hot relish… use your imagination)
- salt or seasoning to taste (like Cavender’s All-purpose Greek or Krazy Jane’s Mixed-Up Salt
Blend all ingredients except the two cans of drained chick peas, until smooth. Then add the remaining chick peas and blend again, stirring carefully as needed or between blendings until your desired texture is reached. If it’s thick, you can add a bit of olive oil or just warm water.
Adding a generous amount of curry powder – I eyeball it, but maybe 1/4 C, or possibly even more – takes this hummus is a new direction. Two red bell peppers roasted on a grill or open flame, or under a broiler, are great, too.
Updated 18 April 2014