Stroke Me Gently, Lady Luck, Bike’s new EP, was released this afternoon by Mr. Furious Records. Five new tracks are up on the EP’s post page; the release through the Internet Archive will be updated within a day or two (same exact files – no sound difference). Following How Is That Possible from this past December, Bike has grown more brazen and more hushed on alternating tracks; looking forward, Nate and his elite cadre of robot musicians and poets are hard at work on a full-length for next year.
AND, our very own BENJAMIN AXEFACE is playing with the world-famous MELISMATICS at Duffy’s on Wednesday night. The Melismatics are a fantastic power-pop band from Minneapolis. Details;
MELISMATICS with BENJAMIN AXEFACE
Wednesday, 5 October
Duffy’s Tavern, Lincoln NE
ALSO, we have updated our album-cover desktop wallpapter with Bike’s new cover AND upcoming Sally Ride (October 30); check it out on the images page, along with a new D-Rockets design. You have to watch out for D-Rockets; you might just be turning around for another dose of that chuckwagon stew, and the next thing you know there’s cowboy hats on EVERYBODY!
In recognition of our first birthday, Mr. Furious Records has some big news:
1) Our entire catalog (9 releases) is now available in high-quality mp3 format. This is possible through the good work of The Internet Archive (www.archive.org). Every MFR release has its own page at archive.org; these links are on the music page. Many netlabels make their home at Archive.org’s Netlabel section, including the Mr. Furious Records collection. The switch to mp3 format was required by the way Archive.org handles audio; .m4a remains the best lossy compression for quality/size ratio, but the compatibility issues are not justified by small gains in that area. MFR is now happy to be mp3.
2) Nebraska Verses is our newest release; a look at the story of our label from 2001-04, when the seeds for MFR were growing in southeastern Nebraska. Included are live tracks and studio odds’n’ends from howie&scott, Shacker, echoes, and our friends Blame The Game. Stories for each track are on a MFR [blog] post.
3) The website is slightly new, with smashing artwork, minor changes to the links, and sub-headlines for every news story back to before the site launch. A rad wimpy button now plays the latest Furious Instance; just click “|>” over to your left. MFR artists have also licensed their work under a Creative Commons “Share Music” agreement; details are available on the right side of this page.
4) On the advice of many of our new friends, Mr. Furious is on MySpace. Our profile was created and is maintained by Kris Westra; thanks, Kris!
5) MFR has two new releases lined up for October: Bike’s Stroke Me Gently, Lady Luck EP and Sally Ride’s long-awaited Don’t Let Them Take Us ALIVE. Stay tuned here and to FuriousMail for release announcements.
Last night Mr. Furious Records released Matt Wisecarver’s Secret Fantasy EP from new artist D-Rockets. The EP is available now on the m u s i c page.
D-Rockets non-secret identity is Derek from The Return. The Return is a Ventura, CA indie/rock/ska/punk/reggae band that you will love; visit the mini-site for their new record Danger Danger Silent Stranger and STREAM THEIR WHOLE RECORD; then when you love it, you can order it for 8 bucks. $8!!!111. Build Me A Reason is also very fine.
Derek with The Return are coming to Nebraska next month: 9/16 in Omaha at the Sokol, 9/17 in Lincoln at Knickerbockers (yeah, but go anyway!), and 9/18 in Omaha at SHAG.
The Return is on Missing Words Records. And we couldn’t be happier that D-Rockets is on Mr. Furious Records (not to the exclusion of other Records!).
On Sunday (July 24) the Lincoln Journal-Star published a story on Mr. Furious Records and our BL/R-OCK PARTY on page 3 of the Hometown (H) section. We are not able to link you to the story, as this seems to be the only section of the LJS that is not published online; a transcript was sent to FuriousMail list members, posted for you here.
Tuesday night, July 26, our very own Axeface* will perform at Lincoln’s world-famous Zoo Bar. The details:
26 July, Tuesday, Zoo Bar, Lincoln, NE
Church Photo Directory Starring; Benjamin Axeface
Producers of the World
Princess Dragon Mom vs. White White Boy
Doors at 9pm, music at 9:30 – we don’t know the order of the lineup, so come early!
*Benjamin Axeface plays Beach-Puppy and Shacker songs, plus some others.
Mr. Furious Records posted two (2) new Beach-Puppy tracks to the emerging Furious Instance compilation today. There’s a brand-new song, “Try Harder Or Not At All,” and an alternate version of “There’s Something To Be Said” from Creepy Eepy, with different lyrics and a sweet ending.
Download them from the ever-present Furious Instance (to your left – PINK!).
Mr. Furious Records; Rock Harder (or Not At All)
Mr. Furious wants YOU!!!111
to enjoy a night of music at howie’s house in Crete. THIS Saturday night, be there or be .
Saturday, July 16 – 7:00 pm until the music stops
The Howards’ back yard (Mapquest map here)
709 Linden Ave.
Bring lawn chairs, bring friends.
A surge in interest in pop-rocking Shacker songs has led to today’s re-posting of “One Stereo” from Knowing Her Best, Blackbeard Defends the Open Sea and the acoustic version of “Autumn” from The Dimly Lit Room. Welcome to first-time Mr. Furious users, and happy downloading.
The first cases of Furious Instance have been retired to make space for the Shacker material. The mrfuriousrecords.com servers do not hold all of our full releases simultaneously; as always, you can request any particular song to be posted by email; mr (at) mrfuriousrecords.com
Coming Soon: two new Furious Instance from Beach-Puppy, Nebraska Verses, and 1.5 releases from Bike! Still Coming After: Sally Ride, echoes Be A Ska Rat.
Our own BEACH-PUPPY will perform this coming Saturday with BLANE*. Beach-Puppy will be playing songs; songs he wrote; songs such as “Nature vs. Nurture,” “Rose-Colored Glasses,” and perhaps “Taking A Break” from the Kerouac-covered Creepy Eepy.
Beach-Puppy and BLANE
Saturday, June 18th – 8:00 pm sharp.
Meadowlark Coffeehouse – NW corner of 17th & South streets (next to Open Harvest and Burger Lord) (is there any food-corner in the city of Lincoln more incongruous??? -ed.).
*BLANE is Brandon McKenzie from Strawberry Burns and The Golden Age.
See you… AT THE SHOW!
MIX-MSP, a downloadable “mixtape”/playlist, was released today on the Mr. Furious [blog]. Punk, Rock, and How is a compilation of great rock songs by Minneapolis-St. Paul local musicians. All of the music is free and legal to download, burn, and share. Mr. Furious has carefully assembled, selected, and sequenced the absolute finest in Twin Cities rock ‘n roll for your listening pleasure.
And that’s not all – a second “mixtape”/playlist, Beats, Pop, and Why arrives next Wednesday (8th) with a big shot of hip-hop, hooks, and other unclassifiable sorts of music happening in and around MSP!
Coming Soon: new Furious Instance, Coming After: Sally Ride.