The Twin Cities music scene is infinitely worth sharing with you (for the second time!), and what better way than through a mixtape?
This second edition of MIX-MSP is full of the amazing beats, pop, and quirky music that bubbles around a community known more for the Replacements, Husker Du, Soul Asylum, and Semisonic. Atmosphere is the Twin Cities’ hottest international export in hip-hop, Vicious Vicious makes irresistable blue-eyed funk, and I’ve got a favorite iTunes playlist of my own that juxtaposes Jeff Hanson with Elliot Smith. Dosh breaks the idea of solo-instrumental music in a thousand pieces, and bands like Thunder In The Valley and Coach Said Not To push the boundaries of pop. But Astronaut Wife, Romantica, and Mark Mallman ground the mix with catchy, memorable tunes.
Like the music on Mr. Furious Records, right-click + “save target as” to download the songs. Also, download last week’s edition of MIX-MSP below; Punk, Rock, and How!
MIX-MSP: BEATS, POP, AND WHY
Links verified 1/September/05
1. “Trying To Find A Balance” / Atmosphere, from Seven’s Travels. rhymesayers.com.
2. “Shake That Ass On The Dance Floor” / Vicious Vicious, from Blood & Clover. viciousvicious.com.
3. “Drop Me a Line” / The Owls, from Our Hopes and Dreams EP. www.theowls.net.
4. “Call It Clear” / Halloween, Alaska, from Halloween, Alaska. www.halloweenalaska.com.
5. “A Tiger Dancing” / Heiruspecs, from A Tiger Dancing. www.heiruspecs.com.
6. “Naoise” / Dosh, from Pure Trash. www.anticon.com.
7. “Superpowers” / Astronaut Wife, from Now That 1999 Is Gone. www.susstones.com.
8. “Manifesto” / Valet, from Life On The Installment Plan. www.valetmusic.com.
9. “Words That I Employ” / Coach Said Not To, from Coach Said Not To EP. www.coachsaidnotto.com.
10. “Altar” / Thunder in the Valley, from Thunder in the Valley EP. walkingdead.net/~titv/.
11. “Just Like Me” / Jeff Hanson, from Son. www.jeffhanson.net.
12. “On My Mind” / Romantica, from It’s Your Weakness That I Want. www.romanticamusic.com.
13. “Hardcore Romantics” / Mark Mallman, from Mr. Serious. mallman.com.